Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Do You Read the Bible Literally?

I was asked today at school, by a former teacher, if I take the Bible literally when I read it.  First of all it was a blessing to be asked such a question while at a public school.  Second of all it was a blessing to have been prepared to answer this question by learning from people much smarter than myself. 

I've had this question posed to me in the past when I wasn't prepared to give it a proper answer so I just responded with what I assumed to be the most orthodox answer which was, "Yes, it's God's Word, so I take it literally." Usually this response to that question is followed by a series of questions that are designed to back you into a corner until you throw up your hands and say, "I don't know, I just know it's God's Word." I don't think this lady had that in mind, but in the past when I've been asked this question I have found that response to be less than persuasive. I think that's a fair criticism. I know I don't find that kind of response convincing when I'm trying to get someone to see the problems in their thinking on particular topics.

Some of you may be scratching your heads at this point thinking, "Reading it literally IS the orthodox position, so what are you talking about?" The problem with answering this question with a simple "yes" is that it's not a complete answer. If you only read the Bible literally then what do you do when you read the parables of Jesus? What about when Paul compares the Christian life to a race? Parables are generally figurative in nature.  The ones Jesus gave in the NT are figurative and so is Paul's description of following Christ, but they communicate a literal truth.  The problem is when you answer the question, "Do you read the Bible literally?" with a simple "yes" you don't have the leeway to take into account things in the Scriptures like parables or figurative speech.

So how should one answer this question? I've found that answering it the way Greg Koukl does generally stops people in their tracks.  It's really a common sense response if you just take a minute to think about it.  It's like one of those times when you hear someone explain something and you hit yourself on the forehead and say, "Why didn't I think of that?"

When someone asks you this question you should respond, "I read the Bible the same way I read anything else, such as a newspaper.  I read it in such a way as to understand what the author is trying to communicate.  I wouldn't read the sports page literally if it said, "Last night the Reds devoured the Braves." because doing so would mean that I had to believe that the Reds were a bunch a cannibles. This is clearly not what the author is trying to communicate and the context of the story guides me in this understanding.  Likewise I wouldn't read this list of stock prices in the Buisness section figuratively. When the context of what the author is writing requires that I read it literally, then I read it literally.  If the context requires that I understand it figuratively, then I read it that way. I apply these same rules when I read the Scriptures."

I hope this helps and when they bring up some part of Scripture that they don't "like" and say, "Well do you take this part literally?" You should put the question back to them and say, "How does this make sense if you read it figuratively?  And if I read it figuratively then what is the literal truth am I suppose to take from it?"

Your work will be done and you can sit back and watch them splash about in the sea of self-contradiction trying to explain away their "dislikes".  Don't forget to throw them the lifeline of the gospel though before they drown!

Also, remember to give this answer with gentleness and love.  Give it with understanding and care...dare I say even help them out as they splash around!

1 comment:

  1. interesting analogy. i read the newspaper very differently. i always question what the author is saying, i consistently look for research behind the story, and then i consider who the story is written by. wonder if this is how we should read the Bible? wonder if you take into account how people "read". if you ever get the inclination to study reading, you should look at the research about how people read text. very interesting stuff. glad to hear this explanation. explains alot about "what the Bible says." thanks!

    ReplyDelete